A very large proportion of medical negligence claims arise due to mismanagement of results and so the risk team have identified the following key tools from our resources to help you work through this common area of risk:
- Video presentation: Managing test results. Watch this module presented by MDDUS risk adviser Alan Frame with your practice team to learn about the common pitfalls which occur in the patient testing and results process.
- Checklist: Results handling. This checklist will help your practice team review your current systems so that potential risks can be mitigated where practicable.
- eLearning video module: Bleak Practice 2. Part of our Bleak Practice drama series, this episode should be watched with the practice team using the associated discussion guide to review your own systems. The episode focusses on learning around results handling to avoid delayed or missed diagnosis but also covers concerns such as supporting colleagues with health problems and team communication.
- Webinar: Avoiding missed or delayed diagnosis claims in primary care. This on-demand webinar is designed for GPs but should also be of interest to other clinicians and PMs in general practice.
- Risk alert: Safety netting. How can you ensure a robust system where nothing important is missed?
- Advice: Results management. MDDUS advice to its members on results management, clear documentation and effective communication with a patient.
You can view the latest MDDUS advice on results management within our advice library here.
This page was correct at the time of publication. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.