Notice is hereby given that the One Hundred and Fifteenth Annual General Meeting of The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (known as MDDUS) will be held at Mackintosh House, 120 Blythswood Street, Glasgow, on Friday 7 September 2018 at 1.15pm for the following purposes:
Annual Report and Accounts
1. To receive and consider the Annual Report and Accounts for the year ending 31 December 2017.
2. To re-appoint Mr Peter McDonald who retires at this time under Regulation 15(10) and offers himself for re- appointment for a term of office of four years as a Member of the Board.
3. To re-appoint Ms Marian Glen who, having been appointed by the Board since the last Annual General Meeting, ceases to hold office under Regulation 15(20) and offers herself for re-appointment for a term of office of four years as a Member of the Board.
4. To re-appoint BDO LLP, Chartered Accountants, as auditor.
5. To authorise the Board to fix the remuneration of the auditor.
Dated this day 22 August 2018
By order of the Board
Mr Chris Kenny
Chief Executive and Secretary
1. A Member entitled to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting convened by the foregoing Notice is entitled to appoint a proxy to attend and vote in the Member’s place. A proxy need not be a Member of MDDUS. An instrument of proxy must, together with any authority under which it is executed or a copy of such authority certified notarially or in some other way approved by the Board, be deposited at MDDUS, c/o The Secretary, Mackintosh House, 120 Blythswood Street, Glasgow G2 4EA by Wednesday 5 September 2018 at 12 noon.
2. A vote withheld is not a vote in law and is not counted in the calculation of the proportion of votes for or against a resolution.
3. Information about the candidates for re-appointment (as held in the Register of Directors):
Mr Peter McDonald. Service address: c/o MDDUS. Resident: England. Nationality: British. Occupation: Medical practitioner. Date of birth: January 1951.
The Board recommends the re-appointment of Mr McDonald because of his contributions: (a) to Board and other discussions as a hospital doctor, a target membership growth area for MDDUS, particularly in the light of the Department of Health and Social Care’s announcement about a state-backed indemnity scheme for GPs in England; (b) to the Audit and Risk Committee and the Membership Renewal Review Group; and (c) as Chairman of the board of MDDUS Property Limited. Mr McDonald was present at eight of a total of nine meetings (89 per cent) since the AGM on 8 September 2017.
Ms Marian Glen. Service address: c/o MDDUS. Resident: UK. Nationality: British. Occupation: Non-executive director. Date of birth: February 1960.
The Board recommends the re-appointment of Ms Glen following an open and transparent recruitment process to identify a candidate with a suitable and relevant background to contribute to discussions at the Board and the Audit and Risk Committee. Ms Glen was present at one of a total of one meetings (100 per cent) since her appointment to the Board on 22 June 2018.
Biographies of all Members of the Board are available here