JUNIOR or training grade doctors will be aware that your membership includes up to £10,000 cover from work that is not otherwise indemnified by your NHS post.
With effect from your renewal date in 2014, this threshold will not include cover for the following:
- Primary care services, such as work as a GP, GP locum or GP out-of-hours sessions, with the exception of work done as part of a formal GP training programme.
- Spinal surgery
- Cosmetic surgery
- Botox and other non-permanent fillers
- Orthopaedic surgery
- Forensic/police physician work (FME)
- Occupational health
- Non-NHS palliative/hospice work
- Pharmaceutical physician work
- Expert medico-legal report writing.
In addition, where a junior/training grade doctor (non-consultant) performs private practice treatment, we would normally expect such practice, for example a resident medical officer, to be performed under the direction of a senior colleague (such as a consultant) with overall responsibility for the patient’s clinical care.
The £10,000 limit will continue to provide cover for all other aspects of work outside your NHS contract, including attendance at music and sporting events.
These changes will take effect from your next renewal date, but should you have any questions regarding this matter, please contact our Membership Team.