More than 10,400 frontline staff in medical and dental surgeries are to get access to free emotional wellbeing support.
The UK-wide medical defence organisation MDDUS has taken the step of extending its free and confidential support service for doctors and dentists to include the administrative staff they employ.
MDDUS, a mutual organisation which represents the professional interests of more than 56,000 healthcare professionals, took the step in response to the increase in incidents of verbal abuse of staff in GP and dental practices.
In a survey of its members, MDDUS found that 38 per cent of GPs had seen a significant increase in verbal abuse towards themselves and their practice staff following Covid-19.
The free and confidential YourHalo: Emotional Wellbeing phone line, run independently by healthcare rm (part of the HMCL group), has provided vital support to doctors and dentists as they deliver pandemic recovery across the health service since it was launched in 2021.
It is available, without limit of use, to all members of MDDUS.
Dr Naeem Nazem, head of medical division, said:
“Abuse towards the healthcare workforce has escalated in recent years, and receptionists often bear the brunt of unacceptable behaviour from patients. This can take its toll on the mental and physical health of employees.
“Our members told us there was a need for emotional wellbeing support for their employees in healthcare settings, and we listened.
“We are encouraging practices and teams not to suffer in silence. Our round-the-clock service is there for when they need it.
“Policymakers up and down the UK now need to take action to make sure our frontline NHS staff are adequately supported to be the best employees they can be.”
Tim Barnes, Client Services Director, healthcare rm (part of the HCML Group), said:
“Working in partnership with MDDUS since 2021, we have supported doctors and dentists through a very challenging period.
“It is evident that frontline practice staff have experienced an increase in incidents of verbal abuse during this time and we welcome the decision by MDDUS to extend the reach of YourHalo, our Emotional Wellbeing service.
“YourHalo delivers expert advice and support to help users address any immediate symptoms, while also helping people adopt and maintain healthy habits for long-term health and wellbeing.”
- The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS) is a mutual organisation that supports and protects 56,000 healthcare professionals throughout their career.
- The survey mentioned was carried out by opinion pollster Survation in 2021. 1956 members of MDDUS were asked a series of questions during the second year of the pandemic to find out how things had changed since 2020.
- YourHalo: Emotional Wellbeing is a free, confidential wellbeing service, which was developed to provide healthcare professionals with the care and support they need when facing difficult times.
- It is available 24/7 to all MDDUS members and provides access to experienced professionals who have a broad range of skills and specialties.
- A variety of treatment pathways are available, including self-help and online resources such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, as well as talking therapies.
This page was correct at the time of publication. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.