At MDDUS, our purpose is to support and protect healthcare professionals throughout their career. We want all of our members to know that they are represented and supported, and we want all of our colleagues to have a fulfilling and rewarding place to work where our internal values of integrity, collaboration and excellence are evident.
We believe that embracing and fostering equality, diversity and inclusion is so much more than a legal requirement. It’s not just the right thing to do, it’s a must-do to deliver a positive impact on our ability to achieve better outcomes for our members and colleagues. Continually progressing our efforts with diversity and inclusion further improves our delivery and support for members and stakeholders and will make MDDUS an even better working environment for our people.
Our efforts with equality, diversity and inclusion go beyond the legally covered areas of sex, race, age, ethnic origin, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, maternity and paternity, any gender re-assignment, religion or belief, sexual orientation, disability, as well as social and cultural background or part-time/fixed term working arrangements. We also want to embed and reflect diversity of experience, skillsets, and backgrounds.
What are we doing to make progress
We recognise that Equality, Diversity and Inclusion is ever evolving and we are committed to continuing to learn and develop our approach. We want to be an organisation that reflects the diversity and experiences of our current and prospective members/customers. We want to have a diverse and inclusive workforce where people feel safe, valued and can positively be their true selves.
There are a number of ways we are aiming to develop our diversity and inclusion work across MDDUS for colleagues and members.
- We engage with external stakeholders and support our members on areas of diversity and inclusion, including training and education on equality. Understanding the issues our members face will help us to support them better.
- Our Group Equal Opportunities policy promotes diversity and ensures provision of equal opportunities and reasonable adjustments for all who apply for, and those who work within our organisation, including our directors. All of our policies and procedures are regularly reviewed to reflect good practice and up to date legislation and all colleagues complete mandatory training on Equality, Diversity and Inclusion each year.
- The colleague Diversity and Inclusion group is embedding at MDDUS. They work with colleagues and the Executive team to develop a calendar of events to encourage inclusion and education around diverse topics throughout the year and are a key aspect in embedding our inclusive culture.
- We aim to improve diversity in all functions and at all levels through robust succession planning and talent development, including at Board level. Our succession plans are reviewed annually by the Executive team and Remuneration and Nominations Committee, with a focus on diversity and equality.
- Our learning and development budget is reviewed each year and training courses are reviewed to ensure all colleagues are receiving the relevant development.
- We also encourage discussions around Equality, Diversity and Inclusion topics at our Employee Forum, Management Forum, throughout training, and through our staff surveys.
- All our members have free access to our Your Halo support programme and colleagues have access to support through our employee assistance programme, Digital GP service, and mental health first aiders.
- Although not required to, we measure and publish our gender pay gap. This allows us to see where there are areas for improvement and monitor this over time.
- MDDUS is committed to the Mutual Diversity Alliance, formed by the Association of Financial Mutuals, that holds regular reviews to share ideas.
Find out more