Best practice: Altering clinical records – do’s and don'ts
Clinical records should be made contemporaneously - but there are occasions when it's reasonable to alter an existing record.
Ethics: Hard choices – on difficult decisions
Professor Deborah Bowman reflects on the complexities of making difficult decisions.
Viewpoint: A place of acceptance
Medico-legal adviser Dr Gordon McDavid offers a personal perspective on the workplace challenges facing LGBTQ+ healthcare professionals.
Case file: Post-incident meeting
...Dr N should be allowed to review the patient records before providing responses to questions relating to her involvement in the care provided...
Case file: Gut pain
...it is claimed that Dr C neglected to adequately examine Ms R and failed to diagnose her appendicitis...
Innovation: Virtual wards in action
One initiative to ease pressure on overstretched hospital services.
Insight Dental Q1 2023
In this issue:
- Advice: A friendly favour, or fraud?
- Pitfalls: Managing risks in oral surgery
- Practice management: Managing poor performance
- Call log
- Professional development: Being a generalist in a specialised world
- Burnout risks patient safety
- Case file: Chemical burn
- Case file: Root in situ
- Case file: Infective endocarditis risk
- Probity – the hidden pitfalls
- Feature: The surprising history of medical defence
- Ethics: Hard choices – on difficult decisions
- Viewpoint: A place of acceptance
- Vignette: Jane Elizabeth Waterston (1843-1932)
Feature: The surprising history of medical defence
Allan Gaw recounts how increasing litigation in the late Victorian era led to the establishment of mutual medical defence.
Case file: Wrong email attachment
...Ms J sends a formal letter of complaint expressing her distress at having personal and private information mistakenly disclosed...
Best practice: Are you delegating safely?
Clinicians can delegate responsibility for a task but not accountability.