Small rise in ARF for dentists
THE General Dental Council has announced that the annual retention fee (ARF) will increase by 1.5 per cent to £690 for dentists.
Remove employment barriers to tackle NHS crisis, says GMC
THE General Medical Council is calling for a relaxation in rules preventing specialty and associate specialist (SAS) and locally employed (LE) doctors from undertaking a wider range of work, such as in primary care.
MDDUS responds to the GMC workforce report
MDDUS chief medical officer Dr John Holden welcomes moves to reduce red tape but says more must be done to improve doctors' working conditions.
Fewer operations lead to growing NHS waiting list
THE waiting list for hospital treatment in England has reached a new record of seven million and analysis suggests this is due to fewer operations being carried out rather than a post-pandemic surge in demand.
In this issue:
- Probity – the hidden pitfalls
- Accessing patient records – when is it ok? When is it not?
- Advice: Unwanted advances
- Case file: Printed scan report
- Case file: Bariatric surgery consent
- Case file: A rare complication
- What does ‘safe space’ mean for NHS safety investigations?
- Ethics: Out of office – the ethics of taking a break
- First person: A long road
- Risk: Don't get caught out on indemnity
- Innovation: Real-time TB diagnosis on the street
- Viewpoint: End the silence
- Book choice: Am I normal?
- Vignette: John Boyd Orr (1880-1971)
Older patients use NHS more but complain less
MORE patients over age 55 years used the NHS in England (66 per cent) than those under 55 years (57 per cent) during the pandemic, but fewer (25 per cent) would have been willing to complain compared to under 55s (34 per cent).
"Hidden waits" drive mental health patients to emergency services
MORE than three quarters of mental health patients waiting for NHS appointments have been forced to seek emergency support from A&E and other crisis services, new figures suggest.
NHS England moves to ease demand with new GP assistants
NHS England is recruiting over a thousand GP assistants from this month to offer admin support in hard-pressed practices.
Rise in NHS talking therapies
THE number of NHS patients accessing talking therapies for conditions such as anxiety and depression has risen by over a fifth.
Funding boost for regulation of digital mental health tools
RESEARCH into the regulation of digital mental health tools in the UK has been given a £1.8 million funding boost by the charity Wellcome.