Foundation programme 2012 oversubscribed

JUNIOR doctors looking for jobs in 2012 face uncertainty after it was announced the foundation programme is oversubscribed.

For the second year running, the UK Foundation Programme Office (UKFPO) has confirmed there are more applicants than available places.

But they moved to reassure trainees that all eligible applicants are expected to be placed before the start of the foundation programme. The UKFPO have said approximately 98 per cent will be allocated in December and the rest over the following months.

The oversubscription means that applications from people who did not provide proof of their right to work in the UK by October 7, 2011 will not be considered and will be withdrawn from the national process.

The UKFPO has said all applications from individuals with the right to work and remain in the UK will be ranked in score order, and the top ‘n’ scoring applicants will be placed on the primary list to be allocated to a particular foundation school on 8 December 2011. The remaining applicants will be placed on the reserve list and allocated to a foundation school on the dates specified in the Applicant’s Handbook.

Professor Derek Gallen, UKFPO National Director, said: “I am confident that despite the programme being oversubscribed once again, all eligible applicants will be placed in jobs by the start of the Foundation Programme in 2012. Last year, there were 184 more applicants than places available, but due to withdrawals for failed finals or other personal reasons all applicants were allocated by May.”

Primary and reserve list applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application on December 8, 2011.

The BMA has criticised the situation, saying: “The BMA believes that the government should be implementing policies now to guarantee [a foundation post] for all UK graduates, and that we should not simply accept that there is over-subscription for the second year running.