For immediate release: Monday, 30 June 2014
UK-wide medical defence organisation MDDUS is pleased to offer access to indemnity for members working in a voluntary capacity at the forthcoming Commonwealth Games.
Hundreds of doctors have volunteered to work for free at the Games which runs from July 23 until August 3 in various venues across Glasgow.
MDDUS Head of Professional Services Dr Jim Rodger has assured those members who are volunteering that they will be able to access MDDUS indemnity. “Many of our members will be providing medical assistance during the event on a voluntary basis,” says Dr Rodger.
“We want to offer assurance that they can access indemnity providing, of course, that they meet certain criteria such as holding a licence to practise and working within their competence level.
“In addition, an MDDUS member who may be in attendance as a spectator is covered for any emergency situation that may occur, classified as a Good Samaritan act.”
MDDUS members volunteering during the event will not have to pay any additional cost and must comply with the following conditions:
• The member is in active membership with MDDUS and has paid a subscription for clinical work
• The member holds a GMC licence to practise (or other appropriate professional registration, e.g. GDC)
• The member has not entered into a formal arrangement/contract to provide care for individual athletes or teams (they may however be required to treat athletes on an ad hoc basis in the course of their volunteer duties)
• The member works within the limits of their competence and has appropriate training and experience
• The member is not restricted to working in a GMC-approved setting (F1/F2)
“If anyone has any doubts about cover, they can contact the medical advisory service or membership team,” says Dr Rodger.
Any dentists who will be volunteering at the Games are advised to check with their indemnity provider to ensure their cover is adequate and appropriate as they may be asked to provide non-emergency dental care to overseas athletes.
Click here for advice on how practice managers can avoid staff issues during the Games.
For further information contact Richard Hendry on 0845 270 2034 or 07976 272266, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note to editors
MDDUS (The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland) is a medical and dental defence organisation providing access to professional indemnity and expert medico- and dento-legal advice for doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals throughout the UK. For further information on MDDUS go to www.mddus.com.
This page was correct at the time of publication. Any guidance is intended as general guidance for members only. If you are a member and need specific advice relating to your own circumstances, please contact one of our advisers.